Peraso Technologies Inc. announced the immediate availability of the PRM2141 IEEE802.11ad/ay module. The device is fully tested to an over-the-air antenna input/output specification, thus relieving OEMs from the complexities of ensuring the integrity of the mmWave RF performance. In terms of performance, the phased array antenna is optimized for both as standalone device and for use with a parabolic reflector.
Using a 40 cm dish antenna, the module has demonstrated links up to 25 kms, as evidenced by the production deployment of Tier 1 OEMs in the wireless ISP market. In a standalone configuration, the modules support a range of more than 500 m. Additionally, the module supports beamforming and beam steering, thus allowing operators the ability to slightly adjust the direction of the beam to ensure optimal performance at such long distances.
Critical features of the module include:
- Fully integrated 802.11ad/ay MAC, PHY, mmWave radio and antenna
- 57 to 71 GHz operation with support for 1.08 GHz channel centers
- 2.16 GHz and 1.08 GHz channel bandwidth
- 16-element integrated phased array antenna
- Full 2D beam steering (+/-45 degrees in both azimuth and elevation)
- Configurable beam tables optimized for use with both a parabolic reflector and standalone operation
- 38 dBm EIRP with all 16-elements active
- Automatic rate adaptation, dynamic beamforming, automatic calibrations
- -87 dBm receive sensitivity at 1 Gbps data rate (standalone operation)
- 2 Gbps maximum data rate
- USB 3.0 data and control interface
- AES-128 encryption
- Single 5 V power supply input
- 1PPS synchronization support
- Compact 35 x 50 mm form factor
"The PRM2141 is the culmination of over a decade of experience in mmWave communications," said Ron Glibbery, CEO of Peraso. "This not only includes our experience in mmWave semiconductor devices, but also our custom phased array antenna technology, extensive real-time software, complex PCB implementation and over-the air test procedures. Globally, no other vendor in the market can provide this level of aggregate skill when it comes to mmWave technology."
The PRM2141 can be used in a variety of applications. Some examples include PtP and PtMP links for fixed wireless access networks, private mmWave networks, 5G base station backhaul and V2X communications.