- Buyers Guide
LTE/3G multimode RF transceiver from Maxim enables successful deployment of HetNet small cell base stations
Maxim Integrated Products Inc. introduced the MAX2580*, a single-chip multistandard RF to Bits® small cell radio transceiver. This highly integrated solution requires very few external components to execute an all-band, multimode, multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) radio design. The MAX2580 design package also includes full system-level reference designs to shorten time to market. This RF transceiver is ideal for mobile operators planning residential, enterprise, or outdoor small cell deployments in their next-generation heterogeneous networks (HetNet).
Anticipating the needs of next-generation HetNet solutions, the MAX2580 provides wideband frequency coverage with programmable channel bandwidths to support all LTE/3G bands and modes. In a single device, the MAX2580 integrates a complete 2x2 MIMO RF front-end, including fractional-N frequency synthesizers, high-speed data converters, and channel selection filters. Additionally, the MAX2580 features a standard JESD207 data interface to facilitate seamless connectivity with multicore LTE baseband processors.
- High-performance radio: supports all LTE bands from Band 1 to Band 41 with selectable channel bandwidths from 1.4 to 20 MHz; supports FDD-LTE, TD-LTE and WCDMA modes; enables the full breadth of indoor and outdoor small cell solutions
- High integration: 2x2 MIMO RF to Bits architecture; integrates complete RF front-end, IF amplifiers, fractional-N synthesizers, all decimation, interpolation and channel selection filters, plus a parallel JESD207 data interface; the power amplifier (PA) pre-driver delivers 0dBm output power level
- Fast time to market: full system-level reference designs available for indoor and outdoor applications
- “Maxim’s latest LTE/3G transceiver continues to showcase our relentless focus on delivering highly integrated and high-performance RF solutions for small cell base stations,” said Vickram Vathulya, Managing Director of RF Solutions at Maxim Integrated. “As small cell deployments expand from consumer to enterprise and outdoor applications, we are well aligned with our ecosystem partners to deliver fully qualified reference designs and accelerate our customer design lifecycles.”
- “As mobile operators transition from high-mobility 2G voice coverage to high-capacity LTE/3G mobile data coverage, cost drivers and capacity constraints will motivate them to implement heterogeneous networks, including multimode small cells,” said Joe Madden, Principal Analyst at Mobile Experts.
Availability and Pricing
MAX2580 is the newest LTE/3G small cell transceiver following the MAX2550-MAX2553 WCDMA and cdma2000® small cell transceivers. The MAX2580 is sampling now to qualified customers and will be available in the second half of 2013. For a hi-res image, click here. Contact factory for pricing.