GlobalFoundries® (GF) announced a portfolio of new features that extend its solutions roadmap and accelerate the next wave of innovation in chip design for smart mobile devices, datacenter, IoT and automotive at the GF Technology Summit.
The announcements come as the industry is experiencing unprecedented demand for semiconductor chips, with the market expected to double to more than $1 trillion by the end of the decade. Semiconductor chips are now pervasive—inside everything from appliances to thermostats, smartphones to automobiles and industrial equipment to medical devices.
“This past eighteen months has demonstrated what a semiconductor is and that they are vital to everything we do. This awareness and demand have catalyzed innovation in areas such as automotive and IoT, and this requires a new way of thinking,” said Juan Cordovez, senior vice president of sales at GF. “At GF, we are shattering the old paradigm of what innovation in semiconductor manufacturing means by delivering differentiated solutions that are more intelligent and intuitive, more connected and secure, more powerful and energy efficient to meet not only the demands of today but also for the future.”
At the summit, GF introduced the new solutions, features and platforms for the fast-growing end markets and applications. Highlights include:
- Smart, mobile devices: GF announced advanced feature sets for the newest generation of 5G and Wi-Fi 6/6e mobile phones and smart devices.
- GF RF-SOI sub 6 GHz Solutions include new features so chip designers can provide a stronger 5G connection today with fewer dead zones for more talking, playing, streaming and more time on a single charge.
- GF FDX™-RF Solutions include new features to enable the 5G mmWave generation of devices for more robust connections and more connected experiences.
- GF Wi-Fi Solutions now include new features for enhanced RF and power amplifier functionality so Wi-Fi 6 and 6e chip designers can provide a higher performing, stronger Wi-Fi connection for the newest generation of Wi-Fi-enabled products for more coverage and more connections.
- GF Display Solutions includes new features that allow display driver IC designers to enable variable refresh on OLED displays to deliver blazing fast refresh rates for more immersive gaming and moderated refresh rates for battery savings while browsing.
- GF Audio Solutions include new features, as well as a non-volatile memory option, that allow audio amp designers to provide more life-like sound quality with a minimal amount of noise or distortion resulting in crystal clear audio for playback and talk.
- GF Imaging Solutions now includes new features that allow image sensor designers to enable stacked CMOS image sensors with > 200 Mpixels of resolution, high dynamic range, slow motion and lower power for the newest generation of smartphone cameras.
- GF Silicon Photonics Solutions are available on GF’s new Silicon Photonics 45 nm platform which has passed critical technology milestones and is on track for full technology qualification by Q1 2022. The monolithic platform, combining RF CMOS and optical components on the same chip, includes an innovative new feature, the first micro ring resonator optical component in 300 mm wafer technology. GF is engaged with leading customers and partners on this new platform.