NXP Semiconductors N.V., the world’s largest supplier of automotive semiconductors, announced a new automotive radar microcontroller (MCU), the NXP S32R27, that will deliver the features and performance required for making safe, automated driving a reality. NXP is the leading supplier of radar-based ADAS semiconductor solutions. An estimated 50 percent of all car radar modules shipped in 2016 will utilize NXP radar processing and front-end technology.1
The ability of a vehicle to make precise, safety-related decisions depends on its capacity to accurately detect and classify objects. The NXP S32R27 Radar MCU offers a leap in performance of 4 times over the previous MPC577X product. This means higher accuracy and safety for applications such as collision avoidance, lane change assist, autonomous emergency braking, radar cocooning with 360° perception, or adaptive cruise control. In intelligent transport systems, vulnerable road users (VRUs) like pedestrians, motorcycles and bicycles can be detected and tracked much faster.
NXP’s highly integrated radar MCUs and RF front-end technologies (RFCMOS or BiCMOS) offer customers scalable system solutions that address ultra-short range, short-range, mid-range and long-range radar. NXP offers a very broad portfolio of single and multicore processors built on Power Architecture® technology, providing exceptional power performance, integration, safety and reliability.
“The S32R27 has been sampling with leading Tier 1 automotive suppliers for almost a year and will play a key role in consolidating NXP’s leadership position in automotive radar,” commented general manager of the ADAS Microcontrollers product line at NXP, Davide Santo. “We see the S32R27 as a critical enabler of next-generation NCAP features and new semi-autonomous safety-assistance functions. Ultimately this supports the goals and motivation for our entire team which is to make the roads safer for everyone.”
- The S32R27 is currently sampling with lead automotive customers and will be made available to the general market (both automotive and non-automotive) in the second half of 2017.
- NXP is the leading supplier of MCUs and radar front-end devices in the ADAS market and estimates that more than 50 percent of the radar modules shipped in 2016 will utilize NXP radar processing and front-end technology.2
- NXP has captured a leadership position in automotive radar processing through its integrated approach and compelling performance-per-power.
NXP at electronica:
The S32R27 will be a core part of two demonstrations showcased by NXP.
- A miniature Local Motors shuttle bus will feature the S32R27 combined with NXP’s MR3003 SiGe radar transceiver at the NXP booth in Hall A6.
- A second demonstration, showcased in the NXP Smarter World Tour truck, will feature the S32R27 in combination with NXP TEF810x RFCMOS transceiver.
*Endnotes 1&2 - Based on IHS (2015) and Strategy Analytics (Q1 2016) market data.
Find out more at www.nxp.com.