Alcatel-Lucent launched a new device for residential and business use that will allow operators to accelerate the deployment of ultra-broadband access in order to meet ever-growing demand for faster data speeds in homes and the workplace.
The Alcatel-Lucent G.fast residential gateway is a simple, plug-and-play device that will eliminate the need for operators’ engineers to have to enter a customer’s premises to install, thanks to its use of the G.fast standard and application of existing telephone lines to extend fiber-like data speeds into the home.
With the number of connected devices expected to reach 50-100 billion by 2020, the demand for more bandwidth and faster broadband speeds has never been greater. Fiber-to-the-home and G.fast technologies allow operators to bring gigabit broadband speeds to premises. However, maintaining those speeds inside a building can be more difficult with legacy home networks, poor Wi-Fi speeds and reliability issues limiting how fast and how much data consumers can access at any given time. This problem becomes compounded as more devices are added onto the home network.
Alcatel-Lucent’s new G.fast home networking device solves this problem. Consumers simply need to plug it in to immediately start enjoying more than 750megabits-per-second of broadband speed over G.fast infrastructure into their home - almost 30 times the global average which hovers around 27 Mbps.
To help deliver greater in-home coverage across all connected devices, the G.fast residential gateway also delivers concurrent dual-band WiFi to provide even greater signal strength and 1Gbps data speeds, eliminating the need to run fiber into the home. Part of a complete end-to-end portfolio of Alcatel-Lucent ultra-broadband solutions, the new G.fast residential gateway also provides a more efficient way to power the growing number of distribution point units essential for delivering on the G.fast standard. With an integrated reverse power feed capability that powers the remote G.fast distribution point unit, operators no longer need to connect the distribution points locally to the power grid.
About Alcatel-Lucent’s G.fast residential gateway
- Its integrated reverse power will allow operators to reduce costs and complexity of large scale G.fast deployments.
- Dual-band Wi-Fi (802.11ac/n on 5GHz and 802.11b/g/n on 2.4GHz) provides over 1 Gbps bandwidth, offering customers with the super-fast speeds they demand across all their connected devices.
- Higher transmittting power of up to 1000 mW will deliver the same quality of service inside any room or outdoor area.
- SuperSpeed USB3.0 support for home network access to shared content such as music, videos and photos.
- The 7368 ISAM CPE can be deployed with VDSL2 networking today and upgraded later without having to switch out the device.
- Fully integrated, plug-and-play device reduces time and cost of installation.
- Compatible with Alcatel-Lucent G.fast DPUs, DSL line cards and G.fast standard-compliant DPUs.
- Leveraging the same advanced home technology as the 7368 ISAM ONT G-240W-B residential gateway ONT, delivering the same experience to both PON and G.fast subscribers.