- Buyers Guide
Norsat International Inc.,a provider of innovative communication solutions that enable the transmission of data, audio and video for challenging applications and environments is pleased to announce the award of a $13.3 million (CAD) repayable contribution from the Strategic Aerospace and Defence Initiative (SADI). The contribution will enhance Norsat’s strategic research and development program and enable the Company to maintain a leadership position in the development of innovative new or improved communications products, services and processes.
Norsat’s research and development program is focused on communications technologies that provide militaries, governments, and commercial customers around the world with connectivity in locations or applications in which infrastructure is unreliable, damaged, insufficient or non-existent. These solutions are ideally suited for use in challenging environmental or technological conditions on a temporary, extended or permanent basis.
Overall the contribution will enable Norsat to develop new communications technologies, expand existing lines of microwave products, satellite terminals, and antennas and filters, and maintain competitiveness in existing markets. These development projects will also assist the company in becoming more competitive for entry into other growing markets. The contribution provides spin-off benefits with opportunities for Norsat to work collaboratively with university researchers and develop stronger channel relationships with the local suppliers of components used in new technologies.
“Norsat has a long history of excellence in research and development, and the contribution from SADI ensures we remain at the forefront of communications technology development,” states Norsat’s President & CEO, Dr. Amiee Chan. “Through a 2008 contribution from SADI, we have developed over 20 products for the satellite and wireless markets, including our industry leading GLOBETrekker™ 2.0 fly-away satellite terminal, and we anticipate making further advances through this new contribution. The relationship with SADI has been a major benefit to our R&D program, and we look forward to using this funding to collaborate with universities and channel partners as we continue to develop technology that enables our customers to remain connected wherever they go.”
The contribution from SADI will further six major projects, including the development of:
- Microwave products with improved technical specifications and performance. Norsat’s microwave components are used worldwide for satellite signal transmission and reception.
- Fly-away satellite terminals with improved ease-of use and technical performance
- Communications-on-the-Move (COTM) technologies that provide connectivity throughout moving deployments.
- Wireless communications technologies for Land Mobile Radio (LMR).
- Novel antennas that deliver high performance, reliability, and durability
- Complementary Communications solutions, providing end to end solutions for applications such as monitoring, surveillance and emergency communications.