COMSOL announced the release of the latest version of its modeling and simulation software, COMSOL Multiphysics® version 6.1. Every aspect of the software's simulation environment—from the ability to perform multiphysics analyses to the functionality for creating apps—delivers feature additions and workflow enhancements. "This version provides our users with powerful multiphysics simulation tools in areas of highly competitive R&D, like audio technology and vehicle electrification," said Bjorn Sjodin, vice president of product management at COMSOL. "We have also strengthened the software's foundation with new capabilities for optimization and the modeling of turbulent flow and mechanical contact."
Fluid and Mechanical Simulations
This release brings major upgrades to the fluid flow and mechanical simulation products. The CFD Module now includes high fidelity turbulent flow with detached eddy simulation. This yields the accuracy of large eddy simulation with substantially less computational effort. A new and fast method for mechanical contact is included in the Structural Mechanics Module and the MEMS Module. It introduces new functionality for solids, shells and membranes with full support for self-contacting surfaces. There is a new method for assigning materials to thin structures that makes it easier to analyze gaskets, adhesive layers and claddings.
Transducer Design for Audio Products
Analysis Tools for Vehicle Electrification
COMSOL continues its commitment to providing powerful simulation tools for engineers working on the electrification of vehicles. When assessing the operational reliability and safety of battery technology, users of the Battery Design Module will enjoy several important additions, including support for setting up thermal runaway propagation models. "I am excited about our new user interface for battery packs," says Henrik Ekstrom, electrochemistry technology director at COMSOL. "It will be very practical for battery developers interested in charge–discharge dynamics and thermal management simulations." In the AC/DC Module, new functionality for rapid layout of motor windings and magnet arrays ensures a smooth workflow for electric motor design and analysis.
- Version control of reports and CAD assemblies in the Model Manager
- Automatic simplification of imported ECAD layouts for faster meshing and solving
- Topology optimization with manufacturing constraints for milling
- Multidimensional interpolation and inverse uncertainty quantification
- Magnetohydrodynamics simulation with a library of liquid metals
- Flowmeter analysis that includes coupled piezoelectric, structural, acoustics and fluid flow effects
- Simulation of acoustic streaming applications where ultrasound induces fluid motion
- Analysis of fuel cell performance that includes effects of fuel impurities
- Electrostatic discharge simulation and prediction of lightning-induced damage to electronic components
- Thermal analysis of satellites in orbit.
COMSOL Multiphysics®, COMSOL Server™ and COMSOL Compiler™ software products are supported on the following operating systems: Windows®, Linux® and macOS.