RF Micro Devices, Inc., a global leader in the design and manufacture of high-performance radio frequency solutions, announced it is shipping production volumes of its power amplification solutions that are compatible with Broadcom's 5 G WiFi chips.
RFMD developed the RFFM82x5 (2.4GHz) and RFFM85x5 (5GHz) FEMs with Broadcom's 5G WiFi chips, which are based on the IEEE 802.11ac standard. The combined solution delivers faster throughput and expanded range for an enhanced user experience. RFMD's extensive portfolio of WiFi front end modules supports Broadcom's BCM4335 5G WiFi reference design for mobile platforms and Broadcom's BCM4360 5G WiFi reference design for customer premise equipment (CPE) solutions.
Rahul Patel (Broadcom Vice President, Mobile Wireless Connectivity Combos Group), said "5G WiFi provides faster, more reliable coverage so that consumers can watch video and connect multiple devices to the network simultaneously without issue, all while also preserving battery life. By partnering with RFMD, Broadcom is continuing to drive the adoption of 5G WiFi into a broad range of products and leading the industry transition to this next-generation wireless breakthrough."
Norm Hilgendorf, president of RFMD's Multi-Market Products Group, said, "RFMD is very pleased to partner with Broadcom to deliver superior performance, reliability and value to our mutual customers. RFMD is committed to growing our participation on Broadcom reference designs to help power the world's leading WiFi enabled data devices."
Key attributes of the RFFM82x5 and RFFM85x5 include:
- Highly integrated solutions with PA, LNA w/bypass, switch, filtering and power detection functions
- Foremost Linear Power Capability at 1.8 percent EVM and 256QAM modulation
- 5GHz meeting 18dBm over 80MHz bandwidth nominal
- 2.4Ghz meeting 18.5dBm over 40MHz Bandwidth nominal
- Industry required footprint of 2.5x2.5mm with 0.4mm maximum height enabling both SIP and Chip-on-Board designs
- Optimized ESD capabilities meeting industry mobile 1Kv HBM requirements