Skyworks Introduces Family of GaAs and SOI Antenna Switch Modules for 2/3/4G Wireless Broadband and Mobile Handset Applications
BARCELONA, Spain, Feb 16, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Skyworks Solutions, Inc. (NASDAQ:SWKS), an innovator of high reliability analog and mixed signal semiconductors enabling a broad range of end markets, today announced that it has introduced a family of antenna switch modules (ASMs) for 2/3/4G handset and data card platforms using both gallium arsenide (GaAs) as well as silicon on insulator (SOI) technologies. Skyworks products address the three primary switching functions: main antenna, diversity, and band/mode.
These compact solutions deliver state-of-the-art technology to meet both high performance and low-cost architectures, depending upon the interface requirements. By delivering a comprehensive RF switch portfolio based on both technologies, Skyworks is able to augment its already broad portfolio of world-class switches currently used in the company's front-end modules.
"Skyworks is pleased to be supporting such a broad range of next-generation wireless broadband and mobile handset applications with our new family of antenna switch modules," said Dr. Gene A. Tkachenko, Skyworks' senior director of engineering. "These solutions highlight the breadth and depth of our technology as we look to best serve our customers' needs on multiple fronts and with highly integrated architectures."
About Skyworks' 4G GaAs pHEMT and SOI Antenna Switch Modules
• The SKY13362 is a single-pole ten-throw (SP10T) ASM with an integrated complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) decoder and dual low pass harmonic filters. The small 3.0 x 3.8 mm switch has five 3/4G transmit-receive (TRx) ports, three receive (Rx) ports, and two global system for mobile communications (GSM) transmit signal low-pass harmonic filters that make it the flexible choice for multiple combinations of 2/3/4G multimode cellular applications. Using advanced switch technologies, the ASM maintains low insertion loss and high isolation on both transmit, transmit-receive and receive switching paths. Additionally, the switch was designed to meet or exceed system requirements for 2nd and 3rd harmonics into an antenna mismatch up to 5:1, while delivering linearity (excellent triple beat ratio), and second and third order (IP2, IP3) intermodulation distortion performance to provide manufacturers with sufficient margin in the certification process.
• The SKY14152 is a low-cost, single-pole eight-throw (SP8T) ASM for use in multimode embedded data cards. The compact 3.2 x 3.2 mm device is designed for universal mobile telecommunications system (UMTS), code division multiple access (CDMA2000), enhanced data for GSM evolution (EDGE), and GSM applications and supports flexibility with up to five 3/4G TRx bands. The device consists of an SP8T switch, GSM transmit signal low-pass harmonic filters, and a RX SAW filter.
• The SKY14153 is a low-cost, single-pole four-throw (SP4T) switch designed for wideband code division multiple access (WCDMA) and diversity switching applications that demand high linearity and low-insertion loss. The compact 2.0 x 2.0 mm switch is optimized for third generation partnership project (3GPP) 3/4G bands from 0.70 to 2.7 gigahertz (GHz).
• The SKY14155 is a low cost, double-pole four-throw (DP4T) switch designed for broadband, 3/4G band switching applications which demand low insertion loss, high isolation, and high linearity. The compact 2.0 x 2.0 mm switch is manufactured using a state-of-the-art SOI process, and is optimized for 3G WCDMA mode/band switching applications.
• The SKY18106 is a SP8T ASM designed for multimode, high power switching applications that demand low harmonics and insertion loss. The 3.2 x 4 mm switch is optimized for both 2G GSM/EDGE and 3G WCDMA applications and supports up to six 3/4G TRx ports with very low insertion loss, high isolation and excellent linearity under antenna mismatch conditions.
The newly introduced switch, ASM and FEM devices rely on state-of-the-art pseudomorphic high electron mobility transistor (pHEMT), SOI, integrated passive device (IPD), and wafer-level chip-scale package (WL-CSP) SAW technologies. No external blocking capacitors are required on any of the RF ports for all of these devices - thus minimizing customers' bill of materials and occupied board space.
Pricing and Availability
Samples of the SKY14152, SKY14153, SKY14155 and SKY18106 are currently available. The SKY13362 will be sampling in the second quarter of 2010. Customized pricing is available.
Skyworks at Mobile World Congress
Skyworks will be showcasing its product portfolio in Hall 8, Stand C132 at Mobile World Congress being held February 15-18.