Akoustis Technologies has shipped samples of its new wideband 5.5 GHz XBAW™ filter module to Wi-Fi 6E SoC and OEM companies, according to the company.
The bulk acoustic wave (BAW) filter module, which will be offered as a standard product, is designed as a coexistence filter for the new 6 GHz Wi-Fi band. The passband covers the 5.1 to 5.8 GHz band with a fractional bandwidth of 12 percent, 665 MHz. Akoustis says the XBAW filter module is the widest bandwidth BAW filter on the market and outperforms LTCC and dielectric resonator filter technologies.
- Wide 665 MHz passband covers the UNII 1, 2A, 2B, 2C, 3 and 4 bands.
- High out of band rejection enables coexistence with the adjacent 6 GHz Wi-Fi UNII 5 to 8 bands.
- 1 dB passband insertion loss.
- +30 dBm maximum input power.
- Fully-integrated module with 50 Ω single-ended Tx and Rx ports.
- 3.5 mm x 3.5 mm x 1.5 mm form factor.
- RoHS compliant, Pb-free package.
- −40°C to +85°C operating temperature range.
The 5.5 GHz filter is based on Akoustis’ patented XBAW process and manufactured in the company’s Si-MEMS wafer fab in Canandaigua, New York.
Akoustis is developing a complementary XBAW filter module for the 5.925 to 7.125 GHz extended Wi-Fi band, approved by the FCC in April — the largest spectrum addition since the FCC allocated unlicensed spectrum for Wi-Fi in 1989. Wi-Fi systems covering the extedned band are called Wi-Fi 6E.
Jeff Shealy, founder and CEO of Akoustis, said, “Akoustis continues its product leadership in high frequency 5 GHz BAW Wi-Fi filters with the introduction of the first 5.5 GHz XBAW filter for the emerging Wi-Fi 6E market. Combining this incredibly wide 665 MHz bandwidth filter module with our existing, first-to-market 5.2 and 5.6 GHz RF filters, Akoustis offers the most comprehensive BAW RF filter solution for the 5 GHz spectrum supporting Wi-Fi 6 and Wi-Fi 6E.”