Sierra Circuits to Host Two-Day Soldering Seminar
After the success of their two soldering workshops in 2019 that attendees rated 5/5, Sierra Circuits announced that next workshop will be led once again by Jim Smith of Electronics Manufacturing Sciences. And this time, you get to take the class safe from home for a two-day online seminar April 28 and 29 from 8 AM to 4 PM PST.
Who Should Attend?
Everyone whose job involves designing, building or evaluating electronics products needs real, practical knowledge of soldering. Technicians certainly need thorough soldering expertise, of course. But even functions like design, management, quality assurance and supplier management that require little or no actual soldering can’t be effective without in-depth soldering knowledge. But much of what the industry believes about soldering is wrong. Changes in components and materials in recent years have been so dramatic that traditional practices don’t work for modern electronics.
Soldering looks simple but is actually a rather complex combination of chemistry, metallurgy and physics. And reliability can’t be determined by inspection. A cosmetically flawed connection generally indicates a reliability problem but beautiful soldering can be unreliable. In fact, many common industry practices yield beautiful solder connections in ways that cause failures.
What You Will Learn
• That soldering is mostly about chemistry
• Seven easy steps that guarantee perfect soldering
• The workmanship that all customers expect
• Why most of what you’ve been told about soldering is wrong
• A simple technique for ensuring that components never get much above the melting temperature of solder (most component failures are caused by overheating components)
• Why cosmetically “perfect” connections may not be reliable
• Why your company soldering techniques guarantee failure
• How to make a $90 soldering iron perform like an $800 iron
• Why “soldering” tin-plated parts is not actually soldering
• A simple, easy way to work with ground planes
• The fast, simple way to solder fine-pitch surface mount components
• How to replace any component—without damaging the PCB (and without any special
• The secret to easy lead-free soldering
• Why you can’t inspect-in reliability
Why flux-cored solder isn’t suited to soldering
• Why the greatest challenges of the lead-free world have almost nothing to do with the
• To never trust any lessons from the Internet
• The “industry standards” that are 100 percent wrong
Each participant will receive before the seminar:
• 78-page Science of Soldering workbook with workmanship criteria
• Circuit boards
• Through-hole and surface mount components and wiring
• Assorted solders
Registration will close on April 15th to allow time for shipping materials. Contact Lucy at email@example.com for more information.