Movandi Unveils BeamX 5G RF Front-End 28 and 39 GHz mmWave Solutions
Movandi has introduced and started sampling what the company describes as an industry breakthrough and innovative approach to RF front-end design with its BeamX solutions for fixed and mobile networks. Movandi’s BeamX solutions were designed and optimized as a complete RF front-end and provide performance, cost and size advantages for 5G and other multi-gigabit per second networks.
Movandi’s BeamX 28 and BeamX 39 solutions comprise a fully integrated RF front-end system in a modular, high performance design supporting a range of 5G mmWave applications, including base stations, small cells and mobile broadband access points. The complete RF front-end integrates the PA, LNA, up- and down-converters and frequency synthesizer/PLL, optimizing the antenna to baseband interface. The combination of Movandi’s RF front-end with advanced beamforming algorithms and calibration techniques deliver superior performance.
- Complete RF front-end solution: optimizes the antenna to baseband interface and integrates the RF PA, LNA, up/down-converters and frequency synthesizer/PLL.
- Modular architecture: scalable from 16 to 256 element arrays. Supports fixed networks from base stations, small cells and fixed broadband access points to mobile, from hot spots to tablets and laptops.
- High performance and high efficiency design: the RF front-end supports the full bandwidth and 256-QAM, ensuring compatibility beyond Release 15.
- Flexible beam support: simultaneous and independent dual polarization and dual beam operation, scaling to 32 simultaneous beams with independent polarization.
- System level calibration: robust performance achieved through online (on-the-fly) calibration of devices and across the devices in an array.
- High speed beamforming: low latency beam switching and high resolution, on-chip beam-book memory.
- Consistency across the array: automatic phase and frequency synchronized sub-arrays support high performance across larger arrays.
- Cost optimized: modular using mature bulk CMOS and standard substrates for antennas and system boards.
Movandi is sampling the BeamX 28 GHz solution to early access partners, including OEMs, service providers and operators and will be demonstrating the capabilities at Mobile World Congress 2018.
“We are breaking the paradigm of traditional fabless semiconductor companies by combining new innovation and world-class experience in RF integrated circuits, antennas, systems and algorithm design disciplines to address the challenges of mmWave deployments. Providing the highest levels of performance and maintaining a great deal of modularity and flexibility ensure that 5G and mmWave technology can be broadly deployed in real world scenarios across a broad set of use cases and deployment scenarios.” — Maryam Rofougaran, co-CEO and COO of Movandi