Test software solutions are invaluable throughout the product development life cycle. They speed up product design by turning raw measurement data into information that engineers can use to make informed decisions and trade-offs from R&D through deployment.
- R&D — Test software helps narrow down the myriad of design alternatives, identify an optimal design and move confidently into design validation.
- Design validation — Test software helps clearly illuminate how trade-offs will affect final design and manufacturability.
- Manufacturing — Test software is used to make pass/fail decisions to get high quality products to market quickly.
- Deployment — Test software is used to make measurements needed to get up and running.
So, if test software solutions are so critical, how do you select the best one? Here are some of the most important considerations:
First, it goes without saying that a test software solution must address the specific design and test issues you are trying to solve. Within that framework, it is important to consider these parameters:
- Are measurement results credible and consistent throughout the development life cycle?
- Is the software compatible with form factors used from R&D through shipment, such as PC based design simulation, feature rich benchtop test, modular solutions and handheld test equipment?
- Will the software work within the design environment currently in place?
- Is the software vendor involved with standards bodies, do they have a complete understanding of the standards you’re working with and can they provide software that evolves along with evolving standards?
- Is credible technical support available worldwide when you need it?
By taking these considerations into account when selecting a test software solution, you can be sure that you will achieve a balance of life cycle coverage, form factor compatibility and measurement integrity that allows for successful product design and development.
For more information about the Keysight software portfolio, visit www.keysight.com/find/software and download your next insight.
Carla Feldman is an application software specialist at Keysight Technologies.
Carla joined HP in 1985 and during a 15 year tenure held various product marketing and management positions in the test and measurement sector, focused on RF/Microwave spectrum analysis, optical and digital parametric analysis. In 2000, she left Agilent Technologies to become vice president of sales and marketing for a MEMS optical switch start-up. In 2002, Carla joined JDSU as director of sales and marketing for the commercial laser and custom optics segment. She returned to Agilent (now Keysight Technologies) in 2007.
Carla holds a bachelor's degree in electronic engineering from the University of Michigan.