WaveGuide

2013 Media Planning

I would like to first express my sympathy to our readers who suffered the wrath of Hurricane Sandy two weeks ago. The devastation that this storm wrought on parts of the Northeast was truly incredible to witness and our thoughts go out to all of those who suffered its effects. I hope that you are safely on the path to recovery.

Read More

Editorially Speaking…

The next three months of Microwave Journal are a wonderful testament to the diversity of this industry. After an emphasis on aerospace and defense from August through October, our editorial attention now turns to the wireless communications industry (November); industrial, medical and scientific applications (December); and dual-use technology (January). For component manufacturers and system integrators, now is the time to communicate how your products are ready to change the world with better performance, improved efficiency, and/or lower cost. Let's hear what you got.  

Read More

Future Ad Trends - Bridging the Print and Digital Worlds

An integrated marketing plan that utilizes a combination of print and digital media is typically the best way to accomplish the marketing goals and strategies that a company has developed.  Print ads are well suited to provide branding and promotion of targeted products in an impactful way, while digital products are well suited to provide measurable click throughs and lead generation.  Therefore, a combination of both can accomplish the goals of many marketing campaigns with the balance dependent on the specific goals of the campaign and the demographic being targeted.  Some new technologies using mobile apps are now enabling print and digital media to work together and complement each other as directly connected products.  These two universes can now be connected in several ways (and it does not take a worm hole to do it).
Read More

Back to School

With the arrival of September, we welcome the start of the new school year, the NFL season and New England foliage. My kids are already complaining about their school workload, but my Patriots are off to a stellar start with a convincing win at Tennessee. September also marks the start of the fall conference season, with a number of events on the horizon.

Read More

The Role of Brand Awareness and Trust-Building

A story: recently an engineering magazine editor told me that top-of-mind awareness is more important than ever because everyone is so short of time. What did he mean? When he was an engineer 20–30 years ago and needed to buy something, he explained, he’d put together a big spreadsheet listing the specs and features of 20 products. He and his colleagues would look at the matrix and select the product that best fit the application. Today, he said, there’s no time for that type of analysis; people just think, I need this — which two companies that make that come to mind? Purchase decisions are increasingly driven by top-level awareness, and you’d better be at the top of the list if you want your share of the business.
Read More

Crab Hats Were a Tough Act to Follow: Tales from IMS 2011 and My Freshman Year at IMS 2012

When I first joined Strand Marketing back in February, I took over our key accounts in the RF/microwave industry and, I’ll admit, I was a little concerned that I might not fit in at IMS in Montreal. While my previous position was in the complex financial services industry, now I’m managing more technology-type shows and I was a little lost with all of the new terminology that was being thrown around when I arrived—diodes, modules, cable assemblies, attenuators… What? I’ve learned a lot in the last few months leading up to my first IMS show, not the least of which is that engineers do, in fact, have a great sense of humor and are more open to creative marketing ideas than one would think. While I’ll admit to being relieved to have June behind me, nothing could have felt more gratifying than to witness all of our hard work pay off in the form of stopping some incredibly smart people in their tracks.

Read More