Industry News

Coming in May and June 2010

The underlying theme for Microwave Journal ’s editorial this year is the “microwave supply chain”. This theme is exemplified in part (at least the component and design support side) by the annual International Microwave Symposium (IMS) coming May 23-28 th in Anaheim. To preview the show and give the...
Read More

RFMD Expands Portfolio of Single-chip ISM Band Transceivers

RF Micro Devices Inc. (RFMD), a leader in the design and manufacture of high-performance radio frequency components and compound semiconductor technologies, announced the introduction of the ML2730, a single-chip fully integrated Frequency Shift Keyed (FSK) transceiver with integrated power amplifier (PA) and low noise amplifier (LNA). The ML2730 expands...
Read More

European Carriers Face Capacity Crunch Challenges: The Full Story

In the International Report on page 169 of the April issue of Microwave Journal, Alan Solheim, VP of product management at DragonWave, outlined the capacity crunch challenges faced by European carriers. Here he explains the background in more detail an...
The introduction of HSPA, WiMAX and LTE radio access technologies has resulted in an explosion in bandwidth requirements on the backhaul links from base stations to the core of the network. According to a recent Infonetics Research report the number of mobile broadband users has doubled over the past...
Read More

My Life at Hughes Aircraft (GSG)

Recollections and ramblings about working at Hughes Aircraft Company (Ground Systems Group) in Fullerton, CA
Introduction. I went to work at Hughes Aircraft in March 1962 and worked as a microwave engineer until the early 80's when I made a bit of a career change to Program Management. As a Program Manager I worked mostly communications and radar programs and some classified programs. Since...
Read More

IMS in Southern California

A look at past International Microwave Symposia in Southern California
In 1960, the MTT Symposium met at the Del Coronado, the classic hotel across the bay from San Diego (figure 1). To get there, one took the ferry, as the bridge was still a dream. Once there, guests worried whether the wood structure would turn into a giant bonfire....
Read More