- Buyers Guide
Aerospace & Defense Electronics Supplement
Early Returns: U.S. Export Control Reform Positive
A&D Test & Measurement
Efficient Design and Analysis of Airborne Radomes
Freescale Semiconductor has introduced five laterally diffused metal oxide semiconductor (LDMOS) field effect transistors (FET) for commercial aerospace applications. The expanded RF portfolio includes L-band (965 to 1215 MHz) devices and the first LDMOS FETs for aerospace applications at S-band (3.1 to 3.5 GHz). Freescale will showcase these devices at Booth # 2018 at the International Microwave Symposium (IMS 2009) in Boston, June 7-12.
The RF power transistors are designed to deliver the highest RF output power, efficiency and gain in their class. The exceptionally rugged devices are ideal for pulsed-signal applications, such as air traffic control, distance measuring equipment (DME) and weather radar.
Freescale’s expanded RF portfolio for aerospace applications includes:
• MRF6VP121KH/HS – 965 MHz to 1215 MHz, 1 kW peak, (100 W average output), 128 µsec pulse width, 10 percent duty cycle, 50 VDC, 20 dB gain, 56 percent efficiency at 1030 MHz.
• MRF6V12500H/HS – 965 MHz to 1215 MHz, 500 W peak, (50 W average output), 128 µsec pulse width, 10 percent duty cycle, 50 VDC, 19 dB gain, 60 percent efficiency at 1030 MHz. Designed to handle full rated peak power into 10:1 VSWR.
• MRF6V12250H/HS – 965 MHz to 1215 MHz, 275 W peak, (27.5 W average output), 128 µsec pulse width, 10 percent duty cycle, 50 VDC, 20.3 dB gain, 65.5 percent efficiency at 1030 MHz. Designed to handle full rated peak power into 10:1 VSWR.
• MRF7S35120HS – 3.1 GHz to 3.5 GHz, 120 W peak, (24 W average output), 100 µsec pulse width, 20 percent duty cycle, 32 VDC, 12 dB gain and 40 percent efficiency at 3.5 GHz. Designed to handle full rated peak power into 10:1 VSWR.
• MRF7S35015H – 3.1 GHz to 3.5 GHz, 15 W peak, (3 W average output), 100 µsec pulse width, 20 percent duty cycle, 32 VDC, 16 dB gain and 41 percent efficiency at 3.5 GHz. Designed to handle full rated peak power into 10:1 VSWR.
Like other Freescale commercial aerospace RF power transistors, the latest devices are RoHS compliant and incorporate electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection. This ESD circuitry enables a broad gate voltage swing of -6 V to +10 V to help improve performance when the devices are operating in higher efficiency modes, such as Class C.
The MRF6VP121KH/HS, MRF6V12250H/HS, MRF7S35120HS and the MRF7S35015H devices are in full production. The MRF6V12500H/HS is expected to be in production in September, 2009. All devices are sampling and reference test fixtures are available now. Large-signal models for L-band devices are expected in September, 2009. For sampling and pricing information, contact a Freescale sales representative or an authorized distributor.
Visit Freescale’s booth # 2018 at IMS MTT-S. For up-to-the-minute show updates, follow RFLeonard on Twitter: www.twitter.com/RFLeonard.
Get access to premium content and e-newsletters by registering on the web site. You can also subscribe to Microwave Journal magazine.