- Buyers Guide
Aerospace & Defense Electronics Supplement
Early Returns: U.S. Export Control Reform Positive
A&D Test & Measurement
Efficient Design and Analysis of Airborne Radomes
Aethercomm was founded in June 1999 by Todd Thornton, Terri Thornton, Jim Daube, Ed Takacs, Dr. Larry Larson and Dr. Peter Asbeck in the Thorntons’ living room. We moved to our current facilities in January 2000.
Aethercomm designs and manufactures RF and microwave systems and subsystems for radar, electronic warfare and other communication systems. Our company’s first products were RF amplifier modules. We have added multiple product lines since our inception. Our products are predominantly found in military systems on the ground, in the air and at sea. While the majority of Aethercomm products are defense-related, we maintain a strong presence in the commercial arena.
From humble beginnings, we have grown significantly over the past nine years. Aethercomm now employs 90 people and has outgrown our current facilities. We will relocate to our new, state-of-the-art, 47,000 square-foot building in Carlsbad, California, in the first quarter of 2009. Aethercomm maintains a deep appreciation for our customers and our ultimate end-user, the United States Military Warfighter.
Aethercomm has transitioned from a small-to-medium production facility to a very large production facility. In the past 2 years, we shipped more than 30,000 RF amplifiers in support of the Global War on Terror.
Our ability to manufacture thousands of high quality, complicated RF amplifier assemblies per week has enabled Aethercomm to enjoy exponential growth in both personnel and revenue over the past 4 years. Our new, high volume research and development and production facilities will allow us to meet current demand and expand to accommodate ever growing production programs.
Aethercomm RF amplifiers are combat-proven and built to operate in the harshest environments. Our company transitioned from providing RF modules to designing and manufacturing complex RF and microwave systems that incorporate receivers and transmitters, power conversion circuitry, microprocessor control and complex thermal management systems. These systems are used in fighter and attack aircraft, ground vehicular environments and on shipboard systems. Aethercomm products are also found on sounding rockets that travel 50 to 1500 kilometers above the surface of the Earth.
Aethercomm specializes in manufacturing custom products in the categories below. We also offer an extensive line of commercial-off-the-shelf products. Our product lines include:
• High Power Microwave System Design: Radar transceivers, electronic warfare systems, communication systems, transmitter sections, airborne and ground data links, high power amplifier systems and modules.
• Linear High Power Amplifier Modules: RF amplifier modules from DC to 40 GHz. Power levels up to several thousand watts with high linearity and medium levels of efficiency..
• Broadband High Power Amplifier Modules: RF amplifier modules from DC to 40 GHz with frequency ranges from octave to multi-octave bandwidths. Additional bandwidths include decade level to multi-decade level. The broadest band currently covered is 20 MHz to 6000 MHz in a single module with 10+ watts of output power. The typical power level for these modules is several watts to several hundred watts.
• High Power Pulsed Amplifier Modules: RF amplifier modules for pulsed applications such as TACAN, IFF, Radar, LINK16 and other pulsed applications. Frequencies range from DC to 40 GHz with power levels up to 5000 watts.
• Low Noise and Medium Power Amplifiers: Low noise figure and power levels up to several watts. Typical frequencies are DC to 40 GHz.
• Transmitters and Receivers: High power transmitters and low noise amplification in a single low profile RF module with filtering, power conversion and microprocessor control for airborne and ground data links and communications systems. Frequencies from DC to 40 GHz with power levels up to 1000 watts.
• High Power Amplifier Assemblies: Multiple RF modules combined to achieve a much higher power level across broad and narrow bands. These assemblies have custom packaging and heat sinking with power levels up to several thousand watts. Typical frequency ranges are DC to 18 GHz. Higher frequencies are available.
• Rack Mounted Amplifiers and Assemblies: Amplifiers and complete systems and subsystems are available packaged in a standard, 19-inch rack or custom rack as required. Standard features include high power over a broad or narrow band with internal power conversion, thermal management, digital control and numerous self-protect features. Power levels of several thousand watts are easily achievable with typical operating frequencies from DC to 18 GHz and higher frequency operation available.
• High Efficiency Amplifiers: We manufacture extremely high efficiency amplifiers employing Class AB, Class B, Class C, Class D, Class E, Class F, Class J and Class S amplifiers. These amplifiers are employed in constant envelope modulation schemes powered by battery or solar cells. Typical frequencies are up to 4 GHz with power levels of 20 to 100 watts. Narrowband power-added efficiencies range from 50 to 70 percent depending on frequency and power.
• Build-to-Print, High Volume Manufacturing Services: Aethercomm offers quick, reliable build-to-print and manufacturing services for low, medium and high volumes. We have proven capabilities in engineering and program management, and use automated assembly and test for excellent repeatability. Aethercomm is a small company with low overhead and is an attractive alternative for large prime contractors to utilize us for this service.
2910 Norman Strasse Road, Suite 105
San Marcos, California 92069
Phone: 760.598.4340 • Fax: 760.598.4342
Get access to premium content and e-newsletters by registering on the web site. You can also subscribe to Microwave Journal magazine.