Linear's synchronous forward MOSFET driver eliminates signal transformer
Linear Technology Corp. announces the LT8311, a high efficiency secondary-side MOSFET driver that operates without the need for primary control in an isolated synchronous forward converter. The LT8311’s unique preactive mode eliminates the need for a signal transformer for primary to secondary-side communication by sensing signals on the secondary side to control synchronous rectification. This mode reduces component count and solution size.
The LT8311 operates over a 3.7V to 30V input voltage range and is used with a primary-side IC, such as the LT3752/-1. The complete forward converter can operate with input voltages ranging from 6.5V up to 400V+ making it ideal for a wide range of applications including hybrid/electric vehicle automotive requirements. Furthermore, the LT8311 combines a 10mA opto-driver and a feedback loop error amplifier to enable output voltage feedback from the secondary to the primary side. The entire system provides fixed frequency peak current mode control that has excellent line/load regulation and fast transient response. Additional features include a 1.5% reference voltage, a power good monitor and programmable soft-start of the output voltage.
The LT8311 is available in a TSSOP-20 package with several pins removed for high peak voltage spacing. The LT8311 E- and I-grade versions operate from a -40°C to 125°C junction temperature. The LT8311 H grade is guaranteed to operate from a -40°C to 150°C operating junction temperature. The LT8311 MP grade is guaranteed to operate from -55°C to 150°C operating junction temperature. The 1,000-piece price starts at $3.06 each. For more information, visit www.linear.com/product/LT8311.
Summary of Features: LT8311
- Eliminates Signal Transformer for Synchronous Rectification Control
- LT8311 Input Voltage Range: 3.7V to 30V
- Operates with Primary-Side IC for up to 400V+ Input Voltages
- 1.5% Reference Voltage
- Onboard 10mA Opto-Coupler Driver
- Output Power Good Indicator
- Programmable Soft-Start of Output Voltage
- Onboard Feedback Error Amplifier
- Extended & Industrial Grades: -40°C to 125°C Operating Junction Temp
- Automotive Temp Grade: -40°C to 150°C Operating Junction Temp
- Military Temp Grade: -55°C to 150°C Operating Junction Temp