TI introduces industry's fastest 4-channel, 14-bit ADC at 250 MSPS
Texas Instruments Inc. (TI) introduced the industry’s fastest 4-channel, 14-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC), clocking in at 250 MSPS. The high-density ADS4449 enables receiver systems to support up to 125 MHz of instantaneous bandwidth in extremely small forms, such as multiple input and multiple output (MIMO) base stations and munitions guidance, or in greater density applications, such as active electrically scanned array (AESA) and other phased-array radars. For more information and to purchase evaluation modules (EVMs), visit www.ti.com/ads4449-pr.
System designers are increasingly challenged to pack more antennas, and their requisite receive chains, into remote radio units and AESA radar systems, while also improving dynamic range and noise levels. The ADS4449 is the highest-performance 4-channel ADC at 250 MSPS, providing an additional 4-dB SNR and 8-dB SFDR, compared to existing 4-channel ADCs. By packing four 14-bit, 250-MSPS ADCs into a single package, the ADS4449 enables system designers to maintain small form factors and increase dynamic performance and signal bandwidth, while reducing power consumption and cost.
Key features and benefits of the ADS4449:
- Reduces board space: Provides 4 channels in a single 10-mm by 10-mm package, 38-percent smaller than dual-channel ADCs, which enables designers to build receiver systems that can support up to 125 MHz of instantaneous bandwidth in extremely small forms.
- Highest performance:Delivers 69-dB signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) and 86-dBc spurious-free dynamic range (SFDR) at 250 MSPS, enabling 4-channel receivers capable of 3G, 4G and MC-GSM performance for macro and distributed antenna base stations.
- Low power consumption: Uses only 365 mW per channel to reduce power consumption in high-density designs.
- Pin-compatible, export-compliant option: The ADS58H40 and ADS58H43 provide 11-bit, 250-MSPS intermediate frequency (IF) and digital pre-distortion (DPD) feedback, which includes up to 90 MHz of SNRBoost(3G+) bandwidth with 70.5 dB of in-band SNR.
- 4-channel receiver solution: Can be combined with TI’s 4-channel LMH6522 digital variable gain amplifier (DVGA), 4-output TRF3765 wideband PLL/VCO and the LMK04800 clock jitter cleaner to create the industry’s smallest 4-channel IF receiver, providing an additional 31 dB of dynamic range and low phase noise in a small footprint.
Tools and support
The ADS4449EVM is compatible with the TSW1400EVM data capture card and TSW1405EVM for pattern capture. For quick evaluation, TI also provides the HSDC-SEK-10 High-Speed Data Converter System Evaluation Kit for a low noise signal, clock and power source.
Support is available on the High Speed Data Converters Forum in the TI E2ETM Community, where engineers can ask questions and get answers from TI experts.
Package, availability and pricing
The ADS4449, ADS58H40 and ADS58H43 are available to order today in a 10-mm by 10-mm BGA package. Pricing is as follows in 1,000-unit quantities: ADS4449 for US$199.85; ADS58H40 for US$168.95 and ADS58H43 for US$139.13.
TI at International Microwave Symposium
Going to International Microwave Symposium (IMS) June 4 to 6 in Seattle, Wash.? Visit TI at Booth 2615 to see our latest high-performance data converters, amplifiers, modulators, PLL/VCOs and clock jitter cleaners for wideband receive and transmit applications ranging from wireless base stations and defense electronics to test and measurement equipment. For more information and to follow TI’s IMS activities virtually, visit www.ti.com/ims2013-pr.
Learn more about TI’s high-speed data converter portfolio by visiting the links below: