- Buyers Guide
Anaren Integrated Radio (AIR) Modules For ZigBee® Standard Applications Achieve Certification To FCC, IC, and ETSI
Anaren, Inc. announced that it has achieved important credentials for its new Anaren Integrated Radio (AIR) modules intended for ZigBee® Standard applications.
Specifically, AIR modules A2530E24A00 and A2530E24AZ1 are now FCC- and IC-certified, as well as compliant with Europe's ETSI standard. This "pre-certification" helps eOEMs using AIR modules save some of the time and money associated with seeking certification on their own.
"The core value proposition of the AIR product line is to make wireless easier for the OEM," said Mark Bowyer, the business development manager in Anaren's Wireless Group responsible for the AIR line. "Pre-certification of these new modules to applicable wireless operating standards is an important part of that equation, since it reduces development time and simplifies entrance into a given market." Features of Anaren's new AIR modules for ZigBee contexts include:
- 2.4-GHz IEEE 802.15.4 Compliant RF Transceiver
- Excellent Receiver Sensitivity and Robustness to Interference (-95dBm average)
- Programmable Output Power Up to 17 dBm
- Wide input voltage range (2.2V – 3.6V)
- 100% RF Tested in production
Current Consumption: (TC = 25°C, VDD = 3.0V)
- Active-Mode RX (CPU Idle): 31 mA
- Active Mode TX (CPU Idle): 29 mA @1dBm, 150mA @ 17dBm
- 3 Low power/Sleep modes from 1uA to 200 uA
- High-Performance and Low-Power 8051 Microcontroller Core With Code Prefetch
- 256KB In system Programmable Flash and 8KB RAM with Retention
The AIR product family, first introduced in the fall of 2010, provides an elegant, 'plug and play' RF solution (with each module's footprint being smaller than a postage stamp) to electronic engineers challenged with adding wireless capability to new or existing devices. Applications for AIR modules range from industrial control, building automation, and low-power sensor networks – to lighting and equipment and appliances intended for inclusion in smart-grid and energy-management scenarios (e.g. automated meter reading, devices and equipment intended for ZigBee® Standard applications, etc).
- The AIR module product family also offers:
- Easy integration and implementation on existing or newly-designed two-layer PCB
- Very little RF engineering experience necessary
- Tiny common footprints across the product family (e.g. 9 x 12 x 2.5mm and 9 x 16 x 2.5mm)
- Pre-certification to applicable industry standards, including FCC, IC, and ETSI
- Choice of embedded or connectorized antenna
- 100% RF-testing
- Low power consumption
- Choice of frequencies in the Global ISM bands to match an OEM's application (433MHz, 868MHz, 915MHs, and 2.5GHz
- A growing library of software stacks, supporting specific applications
- Out-of-the-box connectivity – attributable to a wide range of development tools compatible with Texas Instruments' popular design-tool library, including: AIR BoosterPacks compatible with TI's LaunchPad environment; EZ target boards that work with TI's EZ430 tools; and AIR-equipped EM boards compatible with TI's development kits (CC1101DK and CC2500DK).
- Tape and reel packaging for easy integration into automated assembly systems (matrix tray packaging also avail)
- Competitive pricing: Under $10 for 10K pieces or more.
E-OEM design engineers interested in learning more or securing applications assistance are encouraged to contact Anaren or any authorized AIR module distributor (see Anaren website for current listing).
See more from us in our Buyers Guide directory listing.