ADS 2009 Update 1 delivers new features and improved value for all ADS users with special focus on MMIC and RF Module design, incl
uding enhancing the complete flow to manufacturing. These new features eliminate the time to integrate disparate point tools from numerous vendors (e.g. 3D EM and Layout). This, along with the new simplified ADS product structure, can provide significant license cost savings for the MMIC/Module design.
New X-Parameter Generator
X-parameter models are fast, cascadable, nonlinear behavioral models that accurately account for frequency mixing and impedance mismatch. X-parameters fulfill a long standing need from the high-frequency design community for nonlinear behavioral models that can be created from measurement or simulation with the same speed and convenience as the well known linear S-parameters. The X-Parameter Generator enables MMIC, RF-SIP and RF module design houses to provide their customers with an accurate, pre-prototype model of their nonlinear devices (e.g. power amplifiers, front-end modules and transceivers) to further enable concurrent design and secure early design wins.
Enhanced Integrated 3D EM Analysis
3D parameterized components from Electromagnetic Professional (EMPro) can now be used for swept simulation and optimization in the ADS Finite Element simulator (EMDS G2). Custom parameterized 3D components can be created in EMPro’s solid modeling environment and then placed in ADS layout. EMDS G2 can then simulate the 3D component together with the surrounding layout and even co-simulate with ADS circuit simulators. This powerful combination will detect chip/module/package/board interface issues much earlier in the design process.
Complete Flow to Manufacturing
• Enhanced and customized GaAs foundry qualified, approved and supported Process Design Kits (PDKs) that include Calibre & Assura DRC support and new MMIC toolbars
• MMIC toolbars enable the full set of layout editing commands customized for foundry-specific PDKs, including single-button commands to: convert traces to transmission-line elements; edit transmission-line elements (stretch, tap, split, move to layer); automatically insert vias; automatically create multi-layer metal traces; synchronize layout back to the schematic; check design differences between layout and schematic; show nodal and physical connectivity; and launch the 3D layout viewer and DRC engine
• Multi-technology PDK support provides easier management of interconnect layers and automation of MMIC/Module assembly for 3D EM simulation
• ADS Desktop LVS, a new layout vs. schematic design checker that requires no setup and catches errors early in the design cycle
• Calibre LVS integration supplements existing support for Calibre & Assura DRC
New Optimization Cockpit:
The optimization cockpit is a new interactive environment (cockpit) that enables you to enter multiple optimization variables and goals and interactively tune and control the progress of the optimizer. This enables you to achieve the best performance while gaining design insights on the behavior of the optimized variables versus the goals. At a glance, you can identify which variables are constrained at the limits of their allowed ranges and adjust these limits to allow the optimizer to achieve better results. You can also observe the Pareto of which goals dominate the error function to provide guidance on setting the goal weightings.
When Will ADS 2009 Update 1 Be Available?
ADS 2009 Update 1 will be demonstrated at public events and tradeshows worldwide beginning with the MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS) in Boston the week of June 9th.
Software for customer evaluation will be available after the ADS 2009 Update 1 Early Access/Beta program which will begin in June of 2009. Product shipments are expected by the end of the summer.