- Buyers Guide
To prepare wireless networks for interoperability with future LTE implementations, the 3GPP2 standards committee developed eHRPD as a new version of the 1xEV-DO upper-layer protocol stack. The modified stack provides upper-layer protocols compatible with the 3GPP Evolved Packet Core (EPC). This capability will eventually drive handovers between LTE and 1xEV-DO.
For wireless developers, Agilent’s E6706C software provides network emulation and test tools for mobile device design, integration and validation. The eHRPD functionality builds on the existing 1xEV-DO packet data foundation, which includes full-throughput multiflow packet application (MFPA), enhanced multiflow packet application (EMPA) and robust header compression (RoHC). Five key features are available in the initial E6706C release:
- support for sessions and connections with the new Alternate EMPA application when the FlowNN protocol ID is set to 7 (eHRPD mode);
- support for the new vendor-specific network control protocol (VSNCP) protocol and internal eAN/ePCF plus HRPD serving gateway (HSGW) functions;
- full user-equipment-initiated QoS bearer setup with 16 F/R IP flows, four F/R RLP flows, four RTCMAC Sub-type 3 flows and RoHC;
- support for a single PDN connection with IPv4 support, IPv6 support or dual IPv4/IPv6 connections if requested by the AT; and
- support for EAP-AKA authentication.
“These enhanced capabilities will help engineers test how well their designs and devices deliver the intended data rates and perform the required handovers,” said Niels Faché, general manager of Agilent’s Mobile Broadband Operation. “With the addition of eHRPD, the one-box 8960/E6706C solution continues to be the industry’s leading 1xEV-DO network emulator for mobile data analysis and handset testing.”
The Agilent 8960 is the only cellular network emulator that has the power and performance needed for testing at all phases of a mobile device’s lifecycle: design, integration, validation, conformance test, manufacturing and repair. Its capabilities improve test efficiency, enhance asset management and simplify support of test equipment.
U.S. Pricing and Availability
The eHRPD capability is available now as part of Agilent’s E6706C lab application software. Pricing starts at $42,000 for the software and $88,550 for a complete solution.
More information about the Agilent 8960, E6706C and eHRPD capability is available online at www.agilent.com/find/E6706C .